As the Coronavirus lockdown of 2020 began to relax we noticed a huge interest in our Rapéh products. We started a promotion to help our Planet Kambo family through offering free samples of Rapéh and a Tomahawk Self Applicator Pipe to those that wanted. Although simple to use, if you'd never experienced Rapéh before, it can be very powerful and is certainly not to be sniffed at (pun intended) so knowing how to use it properly is essential to get the most out of it and to really connect with the spirit of the tobacco.
In this article I'll give you the Lockdown Lowdown on Rapéh, how to use it and I'll answer some commonly asked questions.
For the basics on Rapéh and it's application you can refer to this previous article on the Planet Kambo blog.
How to self apply Rapeh using a Tomahawk Pipe
1.Pre fold a napkin or tissue paper (you will likely need to blow your nose at the end of the process). Rapéh is great for clearing out the nose and sinuses as it will cleanse and liquify any mucous. There can be a little drip, both from your nose and at the back of the throat. Having a napkin handy means you can be ready to deal with any issues without disturbing your Rapéh process.
2. Pour a small amount of Rapéh into either an open palm or folded piece of card. From here you will need to place the Rapéh into the pipe so experiment with these methods and find which one you prefer.
3. Take your Tomahawk pipe & hold between your thumb and first finger.
4. Use the longer end of the Tomahawk to scoop the Rapéh gently into the pipe. You can scoop from your palm or pour the Rapéh into the pipe from the folded card.
5. Tap the pipe a few times to allow the tobacco powder to fall into the elbow of the pipe.
6. Take a moment, draw in a few slow breaths and repeat an internal mantra. Remember Rapéh is a sacred ceremonial medicine and as such should be treated with respect and reverence. Having an intention before you use it is essential to get the most out of it.
7. Take one final deep inhalation and hold it. Next place the longer end of the Tomahawk in your left nostril and the shorter end to your lips. It's important to take the breath before you put the Tomahawk to your lips because is you put it to your lips and then breath in you will breath the Rapéh into your mouth! Trust me, you don't want to do this :)
8. Gently blow to push the Rapéh into the nostril. This might feel sharp at first but it’s quickly soothed to a calm and grounding bodily sensation. Repeat the process again
with the right nostril. How sharply you blow will determine how deeply the Rapéh will go and
how strong the experience will be. Start with a softer blow, then experiment with
sharper blows as you gain experience.
9. Take a minute to sit with the eyes closed and allow the effects of the Rapéh to immerse you. The effects usually last 10-15 minutes.
10. Try to keep the Rapeh in your nose for at least 10 minutes before blowing. If your nose starts to run, wipe it using the pre-folded tissue from step 1. If any Rapéh drips down the back of your throat simply spit it into the tissue.
Dose Sizing Volume:
In larger flood doses (2g+) Rapeh can bring on fleeting sensations of sea sickness or nausea. Less is more with Rapeh, small amounts go a long way so start small and
slowly build up your personal tolerance.
11. Lastly, carefully pour any residual Rapéh neatly back into the tin using your folded card.
Common Rapeh Questions
I get asked a lot of questions about Rapéh so I've come up with the list below of the most common ones with answers.
1. What is Rapéh?
Rapéh is a mix containing raw powdered tobacco. Jungle tobacco is ground into a fine powder and mixed with ashes and other plants or herbs. Each Rapéh blend is unique. The strength and effects will vary depending on which tribe it came from and who made it.
2. Where does Rapéh come from?
The tobacco grows wild in the Amazonian rainforest. It's harvested by members of the Brazilian and Peruvian tribes who carefully prepate it and blend it into Rapéh.
3. How do you take Rapéh?
There is a guide in the article above on how to administer Rapéh yourself.
4. Is Rapéh safe?
Rapéh is totally safe. It's not like smoking in that nothing enters the lungs. The tobacco enters the nostrils and the nasal cavity and is absorbed into the bloodstream through the mucous membranes there. There is nothing inherent in tobacco that is dangerous or harmful, it's only smoking that is harmful.
5. What are the effects of Rapéh?
The effects of Rapéh can vary depending on the intention, the type of Rapéh and the dosage.
Common effects include:
Bringing the user to a meditative state very quickly. Rapéh stops mind chatter and brings one to a centred state.
Rapéh is very grounding. It's an "earth energy" medicine so it connects the user to the earth. Great for when one is in a state of anxiety or feels ungrounded.
Opens the the crown chakra and allows the user to connect to source energy. It allows for powerful and divine insights to be received.
Causes an overall cleansing of the user's energetic field and will rebalance the energetic body.
Can be used to bring on a purge to help clear any energetic blocks or negative energy,
6. Is Rapéh addictive?
If abused, Rapéh can be addictive. It contains nicotine as the compound is inherent in the tobacco planet itself. If one acts with self discipline and Rapéh is used ceremonially and not recreationally then Rapéh is not addictive. Also Rapéh is not the same as cigarettes. Cigarettes are very addictive because tobacco companies add chemicals to them to make them more addictive. Rapéh is tobacco in its raw form and no chemicals are added.
7. Can you swallow Rapéh or must you spit it out?
You can spit or swallow.....ahem :) whichever you prefer! It's not harmful to swallow but some may find the taste unpleasant.
8. Can Rapéh make me sick?
Rapéh can bring on nausea if the dose is reasonably high. If this happens it's nothing to worry about, the feeling will pass in a short while. Just make yourself comfortable and ride it out. Feeling nauseous can be part of the process so should be embraced and not feared.
Here's a video I made where I answer the commonly asked questions:
If you'd like to claim your FREE Rapéh sample and Tomahawk pipe then click the link below -
Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Rapéh is an incredible medicine and we're very happy to share it with as many people as possible. If used correctly it can help in many different ways and we're always happy to answer any questions you have. Feel free to drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and you'll get a personal reply from me.
Peace & love
Founder, Planet Kambo Ltd.