top of page

3 Misconceptions About Kambo

Updated: Oct 17, 2019

Haux Haux Kambo Warrior! It's Jon here for Planet Kambo. In today's video I am going to go over three common misconceptions that come up when people ask me about Kambo.

Kambo is a poison

The first one is that Kambo is a poison. Now while the secretion itself from the frog is poisonous when Kambo is used and it's put on the skin it actually doesn't act as a poison in any way.

To the untrained eye, I can totally understand how this appears, that you give somebody a poisonous substance and they get really really sick and they start vomiting and people think that you've poisoned them and now the body is trying to get rid of the poison.

That's not how Kambo works at all. Actually contained within Kambo are these peptides and neuropeptides and when it goes through the skin, only those peptides and neuropeptides enter the body.

In the brain you have these receptors that are like locks and the peptides are like keys. The keys fit the locks and then what Kambo does is it tells the brain to send the body in to this healing process, so Kambo is essentially a messenger. It's not Kambo actually doing the work it's the brain itself.

The brain is totally capable of doing all the processes that happen when you take Kambo by itself but usually they don't happen all at the same time. For example when you get food poisoning you get very, very sick and you might vomit, and you might bring up bile; when you get flu you get a fever and the body heats up to kill the virus.

All of these things happen during a Kambo process so essentially the Kambo peptides tell the brain to send the body into a deep healing process where all of these healing processes happen at the same time.

So Kambo is not a poison even though the secretion itself is poisonous. When it goes through the skin and it enters the body through the lymphatic system you're not being poisoned, that's number one.

Frogs are harmed

Number two is that the frogs are harmed during the extraction process. This is another one that comes up a lot especially from vegans. You have to understand that the indigenous tribesmen who extract Kambo have been working with the frogs and with the the rainforest for centuries. They have a symbiotic relationship with it.

They are the guardians of the forest and the forest gives back through medicine and through food. The tribesman wouldn't do anything that would harm that relationship, that symbiotic relationship that they have with the forest so when they go and they extract Kambo they do it very, very carefully. The frogs are very gently captured, they're tied up and then the Kambo is extracted and then they're released.

The tribesmen have the utmost respect for the spirit of the forest and they wouldn't do anything to harm it so it's actually once you really understand the way things are with indigenous people and the tribesmen and the tribes you'll see it's absurd to think that they would harm the frogs.

Face-swelling = anaphylactic shock

Number three is that when you take Kambo and sometimes your face swells up that that's anaphylactic shock. It's not anaphylactic shock, if you actually look at someone who's had anaphylactic shock and you look at someone who's got what we call "frog face" you'll see that they look different. There's quite a stark difference between the two in where the swelling is exactly and how the swelling looks. It's quite obvious that there's a difference so when when we do Kambo lots of fluid is being released into the body and sometimes some of that fluid can go to the face, especially if you're leaning forward, like if you leaned over the bucket.

What we've found is if you keep your head up during the purging process, you keep your head up and you don't lean over the bucket you're much less likely to get the "frog face" but as I said it's not the body going into a state of shock because the peptides in the secretion are actually almost identical to the human peptides so when we take Kambo the body and the brain doesn't see it as a foreign substance and the cells open to allow the Kambo in to do the work.

It's actually not possible to have an allergic reaction to Kambo. I've spoken to a lot of practitioners about this, I'm a member of various Kambo forums and groups and the general consensus is that you cannot have an allergic reaction to Kambo. No practitioner that I've spoken to has ever seen an allergic reaction to Kambo.

I'll leave it there, there's your three top misconceptions about Kambo and I will see you in the next video.



146 views0 comments


bottom of page